Most Successful Clubs In England
Here is the list of the most successful clubs in England.
For this list, we consider all major football trophies in England – the league title, the FA Cup, the League Cup – as well as major European trophies – from 1871 to 2023.
Liverpool have won the most number of trophies in England, including the highest number of European and League Cup titles.
Manchester United have won the most league titles (20), one more than Liverpool, and 12 FA Cup titles (two fewer than Arsenal). The Gunners are the team with the most FA Cup titles.
The top five clubs are members of the so-called ‘Big Six’ in the Premier League. Tottenham Hotspur are currently behind Aston Villa in the all-time trophy list.
Blackburn Rovers are the only club in the top 10 currently playing outside the top flight.
|Titles||Clubs (53)||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe|
|7||WEST BROMWICH ALBION||1||5||1||0|
|4||PRESTON NORTH END||2||2||0||0|
|4||WEST HAM UNITED||0||3||0||1|
|1||QUEENS PARK RANGERS||0||0||1||0|
In terms of the modern era, the Premier League and Champions League are the titles that most football fans care about.
This has sparked plenty of debate about the merits of other competitions, particularly where the FA Cup is concerned.
Some fans argue that finishing fourth in the Premier League and qualifying for the Champions League is more important than winning the FA Cup.
However, while the financial rewards for playing in UEFA’s top club competition are massive, traditionalists say that lifting a major trophy matters more.
Ultimately, when it comes to ranking the most successful clubs in England, the amount of silverware they have won is all that matters!
- (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup not regarded by UEFA as a Major Trophy)
Major European Trophies:
- European Cup from 1955-56 to 1991-92 & UEFA Champions League from 1992-93 onwards
- European Cup Winners’ Cup from 1960-61 to 1998-99
- UEFA Cup from 1971-72 to 2008-09 & UEFA Europa League from 2009-10 onwards
- How Brighton could line-up in Athens with Lamptey and Fati injured
- Galatasaray 3-3 Man United: Battle of Istanbul ends in stalemate
- Ten Hag drops Varane again – is a Man United exit imminent?
- Al-Ittihad target former Liverpool director Julian Ward to bolster Salah bid
- Liverpool pair Alisson & Diogo Jota to miss at least five games through injury
- Chelsea to pull Andrey Santos from awful Forest loan – what’s next for the young Brazilian?
- Tottenham to recall exiled star amid injury crisis
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback