The most goals in a single Premier League or Football League game
Football fans love goals. On that basis, we thought it would be interesting to find out which matches had the most goals in a single Premier League or Football League game.
You have to go back to 1935 to find the fixture with the most goals – a Third Division North clash between Tranmere Rovers and Oldham Athletic in December 1935.
This is one of just four matches that have featured 14 goals or more during the history of the Football League and Premier League:
- Tranmere Rovers 13-4 Oldham Athletic – December 1935
- Aston Villa 12-2 Accrington Stanley – March 1892
- Tottenham Hotspur 10-4 Everton – October 1958
- Manchester City 11-3 Lincoln City – March 1895
Another 15 games have had 13 goals including two one-sided encounters which hold the record for the biggest winning margin:
- Stockport County 13–0 Halifax Town – January 1934
- Newcastle United 13–0 Newport County – October 1946
The record win in the top division is jointly held by West Bromwich Albion and Nottingham Forest, who recorded 12-0 victories over Darwen (April 1892) and Leicester Fosse (April 1909).
The highest-scoring drawn game is also a joint record:
- Leicester City 6–6 Arsenal – April 1930
- Charlton Athletic 6–6 Middlesbrough – October 1960
Intriguingly, the Premier League has only had six games where the teams have hit double figures between them:
- Portsmouth 7-4 Reading – September 2007
- Tottenham Hotspur 6-4 Reading – December 2007
- Tottenham Hotspur 9-1 Wigan Athletic – November 2009
- Manchester United 8–2 Arsenal – August 2001
- Arsenal 7-3 Newcastle United – December 2012
- West Bromwich Albion 5-5 Manchester United – May 2013
The record score for the biggest Premier League win is 9-0, which has happened on four occasions – Manchester United (two), Leicester City and Liverpool.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?