Despite the poor result, the Hammers are sitting seventh in the Premier League table and still in with a chance of qualifying for Europe.
However, many Hammers fans believe manager David Moyes should have been doing more considering the level of investment on new recruits in the last few years.
The 60-year-old’s defensive brand of football is a source of dissatisfaction among the supporters. Moyes will be out of contract this summer and he may not be offered a new deal.
Despite this, it could be argued that Moyes should be offered a contract given what he has achieved at the club.
Saved West Ham twice from relegation
The Scot was appointed in November 2017 when West Ham were in the relegation zone. He guided them to a series of impressive results and the Hammers finished 13th that season.
The former Manchester United boss left the following summer but returned when the club needed him again in the middle of the 2019-20 campaign.
At the time of his appointment, the Irons were a point above the drop zone. He secured Premier League safety with a 16th-place finish.
Regular European football
Delivering regular European football at West Ham is one of Moyes’ biggest achievements.
He led them to a sixth-place finish in 2020-21 to qualify for the Europa League. The Hammers reached the semi-finals of the competition, where they lost 3-1 on aggregate to Eintracht Frankfurt.
West Ham secured a place in the Europa Conference League at the end of the 2021-22 campaign after finishing just two points behind Manchester United.
Europa Conference League success
Despite a busy summer transfer window when they brought in some big players, the 2022-23 season was disappointing for West Ham as they finished 14th in the English top flight.
However, they ended the campaign on a high after winning their first European trophy in almost 60 years by beating Fiorentina in the Europa Conference League final.
- Fulham ready to offload Palhinha amid Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool interest
- Liverpool eye summer swoop for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi
- Premier League calls emergency meeting amid New Deal settlement deadline
- Liverpool and Man United table proposals for Kylian Mbappe
- Chelsea poach Brighton recruitment chief Sam Jewell
- Southgate eyes uncapped replacements for struggling Phillips – but are they good enough?
- Should Chelsea try to rescue Kane from Bayern nightmare?
- West Ham shortlist three managers to replace David Moyes
- Ratcliffe to cut around 250 jobs at Man United amid restructuring
- Newcastle place Dan Ashworth on gardening leave amid interest from Man United