Everton’s Mason Holgate is reportedly very close to joining Sheffield United on loan.
According to The Athletic, the Blades have agreed a deal in principle for the 27-year-old’s move.
Holgate joined Championship club Southampton on a season-long loan in August, but the move didn’t work out for him.
The defender has made just seven appearances in all competitions this season. His loan has now been terminated and he is set to undergo a medical in Sheffield this afternoon.
The club have had a miserable season, sitting at the bottom of the Premier League standings with a meagre 10 points from 22 matches.
Chris Wilder faces an enormous challenge to secure top-flight survival as they are nine points away from safety.
They will hope for a boost with the arrival of Holgate for the remainder of the season.
He started his career at League One club Barnsley before moving to Everton in 2015.
Holgate has since made 149 senior appearances for the Merseyside outfit, bagging five goals and five assists.
- Fulham ready to offload Palhinha amid Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool interest
- Liverpool eye summer swoop for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi
- Premier League calls emergency meeting amid New Deal settlement deadline
- Liverpool and Man United table proposals for Kylian Mbappe
- Chelsea poach Brighton recruitment chief Sam Jewell
- Southgate eyes uncapped replacements for struggling Phillips – but are they good enough?
- Should Chelsea try to rescue Kane from Bayern nightmare?
- West Ham shortlist three managers to replace David Moyes
- Ratcliffe to cut around 250 jobs at Man United amid restructuring
- Newcastle place Dan Ashworth on gardening leave amid interest from Man United