Zinedine Zidane recently rejected the chance to take over as Algeria manager following the dismissal of Djamel Belmadi as speculation continues to swirl around his next move.
Belmadi was dismissed from his position after the elimination of the Fennecs in the group stage of the African Cup of Nations.
Zidane, whose parents are from Algeria, was floated as a replacement, but the 51-year-old rejected the chance.
Christophe Dugarry, Zidane’s former international teammate and close friend, believes the former Real Madrid manager has something else lined up.
“That he loves Algeria and the Algerians, that is sure and certain,” Dugarry said (via L’Equipe).
“That he already does a lot for Algeria – that is also certain. To take the selection under these conditions, I understand his refusal. He has other ambitions. There is the heart and the reality of things.
“Even if nothing is impossible, I understand his position. I have no information, but I think he must have something up his sleeve.”
Zidane, who has been out of a job since leaving Madrid, could be the ideal replacement for the German manager. The Frenchman is a well-respected figure whose Madrid team played attacking football.
He led Madrid to a Champions League title at the expense of Klopp’s side in 2018.
His free-flowing attacking style would be welcome at Anfield. Klopp’s nine-year reign, decorated with a Champions League trophy and Premier League glory, leaves a demanding void.
Filling it requires a heavyweight, and Zidane, a three-time Champions League winner with Madrid, fits the bill.
However, replacing Klopp will be no easy feat. Klopp’s legacy is etched in Liverpool’s soul, and stepping into his shadow holds inherent risks.
Zidane would need to adapt his methods to the unique Liverpool blueprint. This challenge could be what Zidane needs.
Liverpool is a club in transition, hungry for continued success. After a sabbatical, Zidane might relish the opportunity to mould a new legacy in Anfield.
Nothing is set in stone about Klopp’s successor. The club will need to find a director of football first before sifting through targets to find a new coach.
Roberto De Zerbi and Xabi Alonso are reportedly on their shortlist, but Zidane could represent an exciting option with the pedigree to fill Klopp’s massive boots.
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’