Aston Villa have submitted an improved bid to sign Middlesbrough’s Morgan Rogers after their first two offers were turned down by the Championship club, per the Daily Mail.
Manager Unai Emery is a huge admirer of the 21-year-old and is intent on bringing him to the Midlands before the end of the January transfer window.
The youngster recently played against Villa in the FA Cup and produced an impressive performance.
Middlesbrough are reluctant to lose Rogers in the middle of the season, but Villa’s third bid could change their mind.
Who is Morgan Rogers?
The talented forward started his football career at West Bromwich Albion but was snapped up by Manchester City in 2019.
He had loan spells with Lincoln City, Bournemouth and Blackpool but was unable to break through at Man City.
The youngster joined Middlesbrough last summer, and the move has proved to be a roaring success.
He has hit the ground running at the Yorkshire outfit, bagging six goals and nine assists in 32 appearances across all competitions.
His versatility is one of his main attributes, as he is capable of playing in a range of attacking roles.
The youngster can carry the ball forward and fend off defenders with his strength. He is also very creative and has a good eye for a pass.
Why are Aston Villa so intent on signing Rogers?
Villa have enjoyed an excellent 2023-24 campaign, collecting 43 points from 21 games.
They are currently level on points with Manchester City and Arsenal and are regarded as genuine contenders for a top-four finish.
Villa want to bolster their squad to continue their impressive form during the second half of the campaign.
A winger is one of their top priorities, but they are wary of falling foul of Financial Fair Play regulations.
Rogers, who is valued at almost €4 million by Transfermarkt, would represent a smart acquisition.
Middlesbrough are demanding €10m, but they may ultimately settle for a lower fee.
Rogers is certainly not the finished product, and there is plenty of room for improvement in his game.
However, Emery is a huge admirer of the forward and believes he can unlock his potential.
Stats from Sofascore
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager