Borussia Dortmund are among several clubs eyeing a move for the Dutch prodigy, and his contract situation could force the Blues to sell this January.
Maatsen has just 18 months left on his existing deal with Chelsea, who are open to cutting him loose during the winter transfer window if a suitable proposal arrives.
The 21-year-old has struggled for playing time under Mauricio Pochettino, with the Argentine tactician preferring to deploy Maatsen as a winger rather than his preferred left-back role.
While he adapted to his new role in pre-season, the 2023/24 campaign hasn’t panned out as Pochettino expected, and Maatsen has struggled to convince the Chelsea board he’s worthy of a new deal.
Maatsen’s initial deal with the Blues was scheduled to expire at the end of this season, but the club triggered an option to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge until 2025.
Having developed a reputation as a side with a keen eye for emerging talent, it’s no surprise that Dortmund are eager to pounce on the uncertainty surrounding the youngster’s future.
Chelsea accepted a £30m bid from Burnley last summer, but the player decided against a last-minute exit in favour of fighting for a spot in Pochettino’s first team.
It remains to be seen if he’d be more open to a departure but Dortmund are keen to snap him up, although they’d struggle to match Chelsea’s lofty demands.
The Bundesliga runners-up are open to an initial loan deal with the prospect of a permanent transfer, but Chelsea are insistent on an outright sale.
The Blues need to cash in on players before sanctioning incoming transfers this month amid pressure to stay within Premier League profit and sustainability rules.
Chelsea are reportedly keen to invest in a striker and a defender, with OGC Nice’s Jean-Clair Todibo firmly on their radar.
Given he’s an academy graduate, Maatsen’s sale would represent pure profit for Chelsea, who are also willing to consider bids for star performer Conor Gallagher this month.
- Ratcliffe unable to spend big at Man United this summer due to PSR squeeze
- Fulham ready to offload Palhinha amid Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool interest
- Liverpool eye summer swoop for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi
- Premier League calls emergency meeting amid ‘New Deal’ settlement deadline
- Liverpool and Man United table proposals for Kylian Mbappe
- Chelsea poach Brighton recruitment chief Sam Jewell
- Southgate eyes uncapped replacements for struggling Phillips – but are they good enough?
- Should Chelsea try to rescue Kane from Bayern nightmare?
- West Ham shortlist three managers to replace David Moyes
- Ratcliffe to cut around 250 jobs at Man United amid restructuring