Connect with us


Eddie Howe’s landmark Newcastle game ends in League Cup quarter-final defeat to Chelsea

Chelsea booked a place in the League Cup semi-final via a penalty shoot-out this evening, exerting revenge on Newcastle United after their recent 4-1 Premier League defeat at St James’ Park.

Celebrating his 100th game as Newcastle manager, Eddie Howe sought to secure back-to-back victories against a beleaguered Chelsea side.

A fast-paced opening period saw the Blues come agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock as Conor Gallagher rattled the crossbar with a long-range effort in the sixth minute.

For all Chelsea’s early pressure, Mauricio Pochettino’s troops were undone by a moment of madness from the defence as Newcastle opened the scoring against the run of play.

Levi Colwill gave the ball away on the halfway line, and Wilson latched on to it.

Outnumbered three to one, he still had a lot to do, but horrendous defending from Benoit Badiashile allowed the Englishman to sidefoot a deft finish past a stranded Dorde Petrovic.

Newcastle set up to absorb Chelsea’s pressure with the sole purpose of catching them on the counter. It paid off when they got the first goal, but the pressure from Chelsea was relentless.

However, Pochettino’s men struggled to break down Newcastle’s low block, restricting the Blues to hopeful efforts from long range. Cole Palmer tested Martin Dubravka, but his effort from distance was well saved.

Chelsea came close to levelling matters before the half-hour mark with Raheem Sterling and Moises Caicedo combining, but the Englishman dragged his deft curler just wide.

The Blues ramped up the pressure, and Sterling was at it again, latching on to a cutback from Gallagher, but his close-range effort was met by an exceptional block from Bruno Guimaraes.

Chelsea were camped in Newcastle’s half for the bulk of the opening period, probing a well-organised Magpies backline but without anything substantial to show for it.

Armando Broja, who replaced unwell Enzo Fernandez, had the ball in the net, but it was rightly ruled out for offside as Newcastle hung on to their slender lead heading into the interval.

Chelsea came pouring forward in the second half and worked the ball into Nicolas Jackson, whose snapshot on the turn veered inches wide.

The Blues were soon at it again, and Sterling forced a smart sprawling stop from Dubravka.

Despite monopolising possession in the second half, there wasn’t much for Chelsea to chew on. They struggled to break down a well-drilled Newcastle backline and failed to create anything worthwhile.

There was a moment of uncertainty for Newcastle when Tino Livramento headed Mykailo Mudryk’s cross across Dubravka’s goal, but Gallagher couldn’t meet it at the far post.

After 90 minutes of relentless pressure, Chelsea finally got a deserved equaliser two minutes into the four added for stoppages.

Newcastle got their lead through horrendous defending from Chelsea, and they were undone in similar fashion as Kieran Trippier’s miscued header allowed Mudryk to slot home from close range.

Mudryk’s goal sent the tie into a penalty shoot-out and it was Chelsea who came out on top, winning 4-2 thanks to a sensational final stop from Petrovic.

The Blues will carry the morale-boosting victory to Wolverhampton Wanderers this weekend, seeking back-to-back Premier League victories after dispatching Sheffield United 2-0 last time out.

Newcastle have let slip a major chance at silverware this season but will look to bounce back when they travel to Luton Town.

More in Chelsea