Connect with us

Manchester City

Man City fined for crowding referee in controversial Tottenham draw

Man City fined for crowding referee in controversial Tottenham draw

The Football Association have fined Manchester City for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly manner following their disheartening draw against Tottenham Hotspur.

Pep Guardiola’s side overcame a sixth-minute deadlock breaker from Heung-min Son courtesy of an own-goal from the South Korean forward and a 31st-minute strike from Phil Foden.

They were pegged back in the second half by Giovanni Lo Celso, but Jack Grealish restored City’s lead with nine minutes remaining.

Dejan Kulusevski then snatched a point for Tottenham, heading home a pinpoint cross from Brennan Johnson. But City were denied a chance for a potential winner late on.

Emerson Royal fouled Erling Braut Haaland on the halfway line, but City retained possession on the counter-attack, so on-field referee Simon Hooper initially played advantage.

However, the referee then made a mind-boggling decision to stop proceedings for a City free-kick after Haaland had played Grealish through on goal.

The call saw several raging City players swarm the referee in a protest led by Haaland, with the Norwegian pouring out his frustration on the match official.

In the aftermath of the enthralling yet contentious showdown, Haaland extended his protest to social media, venting his frustration at the decision. 

The Premier League’s top scorer escaped reprimand from the division’s governing body for his post-match social media rant, but City have not been so lucky.

The FA announced in a statement that the treble winners have been fined for their players’ behaviour after the case was heard by an independent panel.

“Manchester City have been fined £120,000 after their players surrounded a match official at the Premier League game against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, December 3,” the FA statement read.

“Manchester City admitted that they failed to ensure their players did not behave in an improper way during the 94th minute. An independent Regulatory Commission imposed this sanction following a hearing.”

The draw against Spurs was followed by one win in three games for City, who will now jet off to Japan for their Club World Cup semi-final clash against Urawa Red Diamonds.

More in Manchester City