It is Friday again which means it is time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two major talking points for the weekend ahead and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the weekend and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get this party started!
Newcastle boss must deliver
Newcastle United fans are pretty sensitive about criticism of manager Eddie Howe, but they may have to start recognising he is unlikely to win them silverware.
We recently predicted he’ll be sacked before the end of 2024 and stick by that prediction in the wake of his team’s Champions League exit in midweek.
Howe can ill-afford for Newcastle to go backwards this season. If he fails to deliver, the owners will not hesitate to act. If in doubt, think back to what happened at Manchester City.
Tottenham test could be Cooper’s last stand
Steve Cooper has been heavily backed to be the next Premier League manager to be sacked after winning just one of his last 12 matches in charge of Nottingham Forest.
A 1-1 draw at Wolverhampton Wanderers last weekend bought Cooper some time, but he desperately needs his side to take something from their home game against Tottenham Hotspur on Friday.
With the four teams below them in the table showing some signs of life, Forest could be in deeper trouble after the latest round of matches are completed.
Cooper has received plenty of backing from the Forest board but looks out of his depth as a top-flight manager. A defeat tonight could spell the end of his time in charge.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Joey Barton’s far-right rebrand points to sad malaise among football’s lost boys.
- How Sean Dyche turned Everton into one of the most effective sides in the Premier League.
- From Juventus to Italy to LAFC, Chiellini was a likeable villain.
Today’s top tune
Having endured numerous issues in their personal lives in recent years, American rock band Blink-182 have returned with a bang this year.
Their latest album is the best thing they have done and is topped by ‘One More Time’ – a reflective ballad which hits hard if you have followed the trio.
What to watch this week
All eyes will be on Liverpool vs Manchester United this weekend. Given the current form of both teams, this one could get ugly pretty quickly.
A final Morning Mix thought
The usual knuckle-draggers were out in force after it was announced that Rebecca Welch will become the first woman to referee a Premier League match on December 23.
Given how often we hear ‘you’re not fit to referee’ yelled at male match officials, how about we give Welch a chance to show she can do the job before criticising her appointment?
- Ratcliffe unable to spend big at Man United this summer due to PSR squeeze
- Fulham ready to offload Palhinha amid Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool interest
- Liverpool eye summer swoop for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi
- Premier League calls emergency meeting amid ‘New Deal’ settlement deadline
- Liverpool and Man United table proposals for Kylian Mbappe
- Chelsea poach Brighton recruitment chief Sam Jewell
- Southgate eyes uncapped replacements for struggling Phillips – but are they good enough?
- Should Chelsea try to rescue Kane from Bayern nightmare?
- West Ham shortlist three managers to replace David Moyes
- Ratcliffe to cut around 250 jobs at Man United amid restructuring