Friday is here again which means it is time for Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two major talking points for the weekend ahead and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the weekend and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get this show on the road!
Arsenal face acid test at Villa
Arsenal’s 4-3 victory at Luton Town in midweek had the ‘winning when you don’t play well is the sign of champions’ merchants out in full force after the game.
The Gunners undoubtedly got out of jail at Kenilworth Road and will need to play much better if they are to take anything from their visit to Aston Villa this weekend.
Villa were absolutely superb against Manchester City on Wednesday, with the 1-0 margin of victory not painting a true picture of their overall performance.
They will rightly fancy their chances of following up against Arsenal tomorrow. If the visitors emerge with a win, title talk will be justified.
Chelsea boss has no excuses
Chelsea manager Mauricio Pochettino was full of excuses after his side’s defeat at Manchester United in midweek, blaming the busy schedule for yet another setback.
His comments were laughable, particularly given that Chelsea do not have the added distraction of playing in Europe this season.
Chelsea’s squad at Old Trafford cost a fortune and they were facing a team who were short on confidence following a couple of disappointing results.
It is hard to pinpoint where Chelsea have improved under Pochettino. He needs to stop the excuses and start delivering consistent results.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Everton are a team united in adversity – and already out of the bottom three.
- Xabi Alonso: ‘I will make my own decisions when I feel it’s right’.
- Tony Mowbray pays the price for overachieving with Sunderland youngsters.
Today’s top tune
There is only one band we could highlight this week – Milburn! A 2024 reunion has been announced, sparking plenty of excitement in this corner of the universe.
We will ignore talk of the gig in Sheffield being a ‘one-off’ and await further announcements about a full tour. Please and thank you.
What to watch this week
Aston Villa versus Arsenal. Villa Park will be rocking for this one.
A final Morning Mix thought
If Sean Dyche keeps Everton up this season, the Premier League Manager of the Year award should be a one-horse race.
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’