It is Friday again which means it is time for Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two major talking points for the weekend ahead and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the weekend and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get started!
Klopp hopes Kelleher will seize the moment
The news that Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson will miss the next few games with a hamstring injury has the potential to blow a hole in the club’s title ambitions.
Alisson’s statistics this season show how important he is to the team and it will be intriguing to see if Caoimhin Kelleher can adequately replace him.
The upcoming fixture list has been relatively kind to Kelleher, with Liverpool strongly fancied to win their next three league games.
However, manager Jurgen Klopp will want Alisson back in the starting XI when the Reds host Manchester United on December 17.
Time running out for Burnley manager
Things have not improved since then, with the Clarets losing all four league matches to continue their thoroughly miserable season.
While there has been plenty of talk about other managers being under pressure, Kompany has gone under the radar despite the club’s lavish spending in the summer.
If Burnley fail to beat fellow strugglers Sheffield United at Turf Moor this weekend, people may finally acknowledge that Kompany’s managerial reputation is overblown.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Bruno Fernandes knows what the problem is – so why can’t he fix it?
- Mark Bonner’s Cambridge exit reminds us of the strange existence for managers.
- I spent two days behind the scenes with TNT Sports – this is how it really works.
Today’s top tune
Singer/songwriter Rianne Downey is in the midst of a UK tour and is well worth checking out if you get the opportunity.
Her latest single ‘Beautiful View’ is another dreamy classic. Give your ears a treat and click the video.
What to watch this week
Steve Cooper was at his whiny worst after Nottingham Forest slipped to a 3-2 home defeat against Brighton & Hove Albion last weekend.
If Everton can do the business at the City Ground tomorrow, maybe Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis will do us all a favour and ditch this incessant moaner.
A final Morning Mix thought
Speaking of moaning, would it be too much to ask of Premier League clubs to get through a weekend without digging out match officials?
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad