Real Madrid have opened talks with Brighton & Hove Albion manager Roberto De Zerbi over their soon-to-be vacant managerial role (h/t SPORT).
Los Blancos are braced for the summer departure of Carlo Ancelotti, whose next landing spot could be the Brazilian national team, considering they have been on his tail since parting ways with Tite.
Speculation surrounding Ancelotti’s long-term future at Santiago Bernabeu has reached fever pitch, with the Italian’s contract expiring at the end of the season.
While the possibility of an extension cannot be ruled out as we approach the midway point of the season, Ancelotti appears closer to the exit door than a new deal.
Madrid have already begun scouring the market for potential alternatives, and De Zerbi has popped up on their radar, thanks to his exceptional work at Brighton.
Since joining the Seagulls from Sassuolo in September last year, the 44-year-old has established himself as one of the finest young managers in the game.
De Zerbi took over an already overachieving Brighton side and somehow elevated them to greater heights, helping the club land their maiden European qualification in history.
The Italian’s tactical acumen and ability to get the best out of his players helped transform Brighton into one of the most exciting teams in Europe.
His overachieving side are in the midst of a rough patch, but that hasn’t stopped De Zerbi from attracting plenty of interest from Europe’s elite clubs.
Brighton CEO Paul Barber has already acknowledged the possibility of losing the high-performing tactician this summer, and it appears Madrid could be his next destination.
While De Zerbi will feel he has unfinished business in the Premier League, the allure of taking the reins at the most decorated club in European football could prove irresistible.
- £1.3bn Manchester United investor will prioritise homegrown talent over foreign stars
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Stats reveal the real culprits in Man Utd’s dismal performances this season
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award