Lorient defender Benjamin Mendy has filed a multi-million-pound lawsuit against Manchester City to recover his unpaid wages, per Sky Sports.
The French international is seeking compensation after they froze his accounts two years ago when news of his arrest for sexual crimes broke in August 2021. The Manchester club did not pay his wages throughout his ordeal with the law.
However, Mendy was acquitted on all counts of sexual crimes in July 2023 after a long legal battle.
Following his exoneration, he joined Ligue 1 side Lorient as a free agent and has been re-establishing himself in top-flight football.
His reputation may have taken a hit, but he has got his career back on track.
Since he inked his two-year deal with Lorient, there have been rumours he will stake his claim for his unpaid wages. The former AS Monaco full-back has now initiated legal proceedings to this effect.
The 29-year-old defender is determined to reclaim the earnings that were withheld during the final two years of his tenure with the Cityzens.
Mendy joined Man City in 2017 after playing a pivotal role at AS Monaco as they won the 2016/17 Ligue 1 title.
He joined City for £52 million and was impressive in his early days, providing Pep Guardiola’s side with width while using his devastating crossing ability to great effect.
However, injuries and off-field challenges hampered his time in England. He contributed three goals and 14 assists in 75 appearances for City during his six-year contract.
Mendy has made three substitute appearances for Lorient.
After surviving the legal battle in his sexual assault case, he is set to take on the treble-winning giants next.
- Bundesliga Weekly: Dortmund & Leverkusen share the spoils, Leipzig re-enter the title race
- Man United to ratify Sir Jim Ratcliffe stake purchase next week
- Newcastle’s top four hopes take huge hit with Nick Pope out for five months
- Stats prove Man City’s Rodri has been far better than Arsenal’s Declan Rice this season
- Manchester City’s title defence gets tougher as Arsenal and Liverpool soar
- Euro 2024 Power Rankings – Who are the early favourites in Germany?
- FA Cup third round draw: Arsenal face Liverpool, Tottenham host Burnley
- European Championship 2024 draw: England, Scotland, France & Germany discover group stage opponents
- Can Salah close the gap on Haaland in the Premier League Golden Boot race?
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager