Bayern Munich are considering making a move for Manchester United defender Raphael Varane, according to Florian Plettenberg.
The reigning German champions have reportedly been informed that a move for Varane is possible, although it would have to be a permanent switch with a price tag of around €20-30 million being quoted.
Varane’s annual wages of £17.6m would see him become one of Bayern’s highest earners and the Bavarians are likely to have no problems coughing up that amount given their current defensive malaise.
Bayern are down to bare bones in central defence due to Matthijs de Ligt’s injury and once considered re-signing former defender Jerome Boateng.
The club are likely to strengthen that department when the winter transfer window opens and Varane is now under consideration by their hierarchy.
Varane’s departure would free up space for a new defensive addition for United, and the Red Devils are eyeing a move for Nice’s Jean-Clair Todibo.
The Frenchman has largely been out of the starting line-up, making just four Premier League starts this term.
Bayern have made a fine start to the season and recently picked up an eighth win in nine matches across all competitions.
However, they currently trail Bayer Leverkusen after 11 matches in what is shaping up to be one of the most exciting Bundesliga title races ever.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?