West Ham United defender Angelo Ogbonna has signed a one-year contract extension with the club.
Ogbonna, who is one of West Ham’s longest-serving players, is set for a ninth season at the London Stadium following his move from Juventus in 2015.
Despite falling down the pecking order of late, Angelo remains a key figure in the dressing room and has been rewarded with an extended stay.
“It feels really good to remain with West Ham,” Ogbonna told whufc.com after putting pen to paper on a new deal.
“I’m really pleased with what we’ve achieved, and I’m pleased with what we did last season. I want to thank the club and, as I always say, I’m here to help.
“Now I’m here to stay as well and I really want to keep going and pushing on now.
“Everyone welcomed me in the best way when I joined West Ham in 2015 and made me feel like a part of the family here.
“That was the most important thing and that’s why I’m so pleased to stay here – I want to keep giving back.”
Ogbonna came on for the final few minutes of West Ham’s Europa Conference League final triumph against Fiorentina last month as they ended a tumultuous campaign on a high note.
With the Hammers featuring in the Europa League next season, they certainly could do with Ogbonna’s experience and leadership qualities.
Fresh off the back of tying up a mammoth £105 million deal to part ways with Declan Rice, West Ham are expected to speed up their summer activity over the next couple of weeks.
A deal for Fulham’s Joao Palhinha is believed to be the current priority, but West Ham are also interested in snapping up Harvey Barnes amid interest from Newcastle United and Aston Villa.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?