Brazil star Vinicius Junior suffered an injury to his thigh during their 2-1 loss to Colombia in their 2026 World Cup qualifier last night.
According to Globo, the Real Madrid star will miss their next game against Argentina. The crucial fixture will be played next week on Wednesday and features two sides looking to bounce back from respective losses.
The Selecao lost their second consecutive qualifying match under interim coach Fernando Diniz following a Luis Diaz double that rendered Gabriel Martinelli’s fourth-minute goal useless.
During the clash, Vinicius had to come off at half-time and has now been cut from the team to face the World Cup champions who lost 2-0 to Marcelo Bielsa’s Uruguay.
Vinicius will be a massive miss for Brazil even though there have been grumbles about his performances for the national team failing to match his club showings.
Despite Vinicius’ absence, Brazil will be desperate to get back to winning ways against their arch-rivals. They have already slipped to fifth on the qualifying table and will want to avoid plummeting further down.
Vinicius is the latest casualty for Madrid from this round of international games.
Midfielder Eduardo Camavinga suffered a problem with his knee ligaments after clashing with Ousmane Dembele in training for France.
Camavinga is expected to be out until 2024, handing another blow to Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti.
Thibaut Courtois and Eder Militao have sustained long-term injuries, while Arder Guler, Aurelien Tchouameni, Kepa Arrizabalaga and Jude Bellingham are also out of action.
Madrid have responded drastically to the injuries, sacking first-team doctor Niki Mihic.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?