Real Madrid midfielder Jude Bellingham has won the prestigious 2023 Golden Boy award, an honour bestowed upon the most outstanding young male footballer in Europe by sports journalists.
Founded by Tuttosport, the award recognises Bellingham’s exceptional performances throughout the calendar year.
He won 97% of the votes, becoming the third Englishman to clinch the prize after Wayne Rooney (2004) and Raheem Sterling (2014).
Bellingham’s journey to stardom began at Birmingham City, where he broke out before establishing himself at Borussia Dortmund. His meteoric rise culminated in a blockbuster €133 million transfer to Madrid earlier this summer.
Since donning Madrid’s iconic white jersey, Bellingham has notched an impressive 13 goals and three assists in just 13 appearances.
He has delivered several crucial match-winning contributions, endearing himself to their demanding fans.
The accolades keep pouring in for Bellingham, who secured three consecutive Player of the Month awards for Madrid. The 20-year-old dominated August, September and October.
He also claimed La Liga’s October Player of the Month after an equally outstanding August.
Bellingham’s trophy cabinet continues to expand. He recently bagged the Kopa Trophy and finished in 18th spot on the Ballon d’Or rankings.
The former Birmingham City midfielder fended off challenges from notable contenders such as Eduardo Camavinga, Rasmus Hojlund, Jamal Musiala and Pedri to emerge victorious in the Kopa Trophy race.
Gavi, the recipient of the 2022 Golden Boy trophy, was a strong contender this year for both the Kopa Trophy and Golden Boy awards.
However, Bellingham’s exceptional year on the pitch ultimately secured him the coveted award, solidifying his status as one of the brightest young talents in European football.
Bellingham will be looking to continue his exceptional form, carrying it into 2024. It would make him one of the top contenders for the 2024 Ballon d’Or.
He is currently focusing on recovering from an injury that prevented him from joining the England squad ahead of the 2024 European Championship qualifiers against Malta and North Macedonia.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?