Barcelona have turned their attention towards Feyenoord’s highly-rated youngster Mats Wieffer in a bid to solve their holding midfielder woes, as per Diario Sport.
The Catalan giants recruited Oriol Romeu in the summer as an inexpensive replacement for Sergio Busquets owing to their financial crisis.
The move seemed to have paid off after Romeu quickly established himself as a key cog in Xavi’s line-up, delivering a string of consistent displays.
However, the 32-year-old has suffered a notable dip in his performances lately, leading to doubts over his ability and whether he will be reliable in the long run.
Adding to the woes, injuries to Frenkie de Jong and Pedri have further hit Barca’s midfield, which has impacted the club’s performances in recent weeks.
Romeu could leave the Blaugrana in January, and a new midfielder will be prioritised in the transfer wishlist.
The La Liga champions have compiled a list of potential targets, and Wieffer is among them.
Wieffer has made a stunning impact in his debut season at Feyenoord, helping them win the Eredivisie title last term.
The 24-year-old made 37 appearances across all competitions, bagging three goals and seven assists as well as helping his side reach the Europa League quarter-finals.
Barca also have Arthur Vermeeren and Gabriel Moscardo on their radar, but they rate Wieffer’s experience.
The Dutch international can also play as a central midfielder and boasts eye-catching attacking, playmaking and defensive numbers.
His asking price is believed to be within Barca’s reach, which is a massive boost amid their economic woes.
The Catalan giants are expected to face competition from Liverpool for Wieffer, who is considered the future of the Dutch national team.
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga; can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more