Manchester City midfielder Matheus Nunes has withdrawn from Portugal international duty for their upcoming European Championship qualifiers due to injury, The Athletic reports.
Nunes is the fourth Man City player to pull out of international duty in as many days, adding to the growing injury crisis faced by the club.
The list includes Nathan Ake, who sustained a knock in training and withdrew from the Netherlands squad, along with Ederson and Mateo Kovacic, who pulled out from the Brazil and Croatia camps due to foot and muscle problems.
The injury concerns for Man City extend further with Kevin De Bruyne, Sergio Gomez and John Stones sidelined at least until after the international break.
Nunes has joined Man City’s star-studded list of absentees after reportedly missing Portugal training on Wednesday, plunging Guardiola’s side into an injury crisis with just 14 fit outfield players match-fit.
After undergoing a series of tests, the Portuguese FA declared Nunes ‘clinically unfit’ for their final two qualifier fixtures against Liechtenstein and Iceland.
Fitness issues represent the official reason for his absence, but reports in Portugal claim he presented ‘muscle complaints’ after training on Tuesday, leaving Man City with seven injured players ahead of their Premier League clash against Liverpool.
Guardiola’s side welcome Liverpool to the Etihad Stadium looking to return to winning ways, following a pulsating 4-4 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on the eve of the international break.
The Cityzens reclaimed their place at the Premier League summit thanks to consecutive slip-ups from Tottenham Hotspur and will be hoping to retain the top spot with a victory over Liverpool.
Man City have not been at their sparkling best this season, but victory over their title rivals will further strengthen their ambition of retaining their Premier League crown.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree