Ederson only joined Atalanta in 2022 but has slowly established himself as a vital part of the La Dea squad, attracting interest from a host of European clubs.
Atalanta parted ways with around €15 million to snap up the 24-year-old central midfielder in a player-plus-cash deal that saw centre-back Matteo Lovato move in the opposite direction.
The former Brazil under-20 international has since notched six goals and two assists in 53 appearances for Atalanta, with the bulk of his contributions coming this season.
Ederson has been in terrific form for Gian Piero Gasperini’s side this term, racking up five goals and an assist in 15 appearances across all competitions.
He was on target in the 1-1 draw against Udinese last weekend, helping Atalanta avoid consecutive Serie A defeats with a last-minute equaliser at Dacia Arena.
Ederson is averaging 1.4 interceptions per match, 2.7 tackles per 90, and 6.7 ball recoveries per game, and has featured in the Serie A Team of the Week twice.
The Brazilian has also established himself as a dominant force in the middle of the park, winning 56% of his total duels while recording a 73% success rate in attempted dribbles.
His statistics underscore why a potential January move could be on the cards, but Atalanta will undoubtedly be reluctant to sanction a mid-season departure.
The Italians value Ederson at €40m – a price that could be too much for Newcastle to handle, considering their struggles with Financial Fair Play regulations.
The Magpies have been left in a tough spot after their statement signing Sandro Tonali was handed a 10-month ban for betting on football matches, keeping him out of action until August next year.
With limited midfield options available to manager Eddie Howe, Newcastle are expected to find a replacement in the coming January transfer market.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray