Newcastle United are monitoring Bayern Leverkusen’s Florian Wirtz, according to the Daily Mail.
Wirtz has been in fine form since returning from a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament which he suffered just over a year ago.
He has racked up four goals and eight assists in his 17 matches across all competitions and could be on the move this summer.
However, Leverkusen are unwilling to part ways with Wirtz amid links to La Liga giants Barcelona, who the 19-year-old has previously stated a desire to join despite playing down the Blaugrana’s interest in him.
“I haven’t heard anything about Barcelona yet,” Wirtz told SPORT when quizzed about a potential move.
“I haven’t heard anything about it and was also surprised when I read it.
“I continue to have goals with Leverkusen and with the national team”
“When I was little I always wanted to play for Barcelona.
“That hasn’t changed, but there’s still some time to be able to fulfil it.”
Nonetheless, Newcastle remain unperturbed in their pursuit of Wirtz and sent scouts to watch him during Leverkusen’s Europa League clash against Union St Gilloise.
Wirtz certainly put on a show in the aforementioned game with a lovely strike which saw his side earn a 1-1 draw having trailed heading into the final 10 minutes.
With Newcastle firmly in the hunt to qualify for next season’s Champions League, a potential bid for Wirtz is not ruled out as another busy transfer window is expected at St James’ Park.
A minimum of four new signings is the target on Tyneside next summer.
In the meantime, Eddie Howe’s men will be looking to take one step closer to Champions League qualification when they face fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups