Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Warren Zaire-Emery has been handed a dream maiden call-up to the French national team for the upcoming European Championship qualifiers.
The 17-year-old has taken the Ligue 1 by storm this season, establishing himself as a key cog in Luis Enrique’s side with his consistent displays.
With the Ligue 1 giants losing Marco Verratti and Renato Sanches this summer, Zaire-Emery has stepped in to become the new leading figure in midfield.
He has made 14 appearances for PSG across all competitions, bagging two goals and five assists.
The French prodigy’s stellar rise at the club level hasn’t caught the attention of Didier Deschamps, who has summoned him for the games against Greece and Gibraltar.
Deschamps showered praise on the young midfielder, stating that he possesses everything to reach the highest level.
“In terms of what he’s been achieving at club level since the last international break, he’s here with us because he has all the qualities to be at the top level, even if there’s obviously competition in his position,” said Deschamps.
“He’s a candidate for the next European Championship. I’m not going to go into detail about the way he’s used or the system he uses. He’s a complete midfielder at his young age, and he does a lot of things very well.”
Zaire-Emery will be keen to seize this opportunity, and if he continues his progress at this rate, he has a good chance of sealing his berth for the European Championship in Germany.
The highly-coveted midfielder was part of a 2-1 defeat against AC Milan in the Champions League in midweek, which has complicated PSG’s chances of reaching the last-16.
Les Parisiens must win their remaining fixtures against Newcastle United and Borussia Dortmund to progress to the knockout stage.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch