Liverpool attacker Mohamed Salah has won the Premier League Player of the Month award for October.
Following an impressive spell last month which saw him register five goals in three matches, Salah was nominated alongside Douglas Luiz, Bryan Mbeumo, Pedro Neto, Declan Rice and Cristian Romero.
The Egyptian has fended off competition from all of the aforementioned names to take home the monthly accolade for the fifth time in his career, meaning that only Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero have won the award on more occasions.
Salah’s goalscoring heroics helped his side collect seven points out of a possible nine last month as they closed the gap to the top of the league table to just three points.
He started October with a bang, netting two goals apiece against Brighton & Hove Albion and Everton before rounding off the month with a clinching strike against Nottingham Forest.
Only Manchester City’s Erling Braut Haaland has been directly involved in more Premier League goals this term than Salah, who also leads the way in big chances created.
Salah continues to deliver the goods at the age of 31, and it is no surprise that Liverpool were keen to resist any offer for their starman from the Middle East during the last transfer window.
Having only featured as a second-half substitute in Liverpool’s 3-2 defeat to Ligue 1 outfit Toulouse in the Europa League yesterday, Salah will be expected to return to the starting XI on Sunday when Jurgen Klopp’s men welcome Brentford to Anfield.
The Reds will be aiming to record a first win in three matches across all competitions since their 2-1 League Cup triumph over Bournemouth at the start of November.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray