Tottenham took the lead early on, but the chaotic Monday night game saw Chelsea awarded a penalty upon VAR review after Cristian Romeo’s terrible challenge on Enzo Fernandez in the penalty box.
Cole Palmer slotted the penalty home and shushed the fans in celebration. The Tottenham fans responded by sending a missile that struck him in the foot.
As Chelsea players went to continue the game, Sterling picked up the object and threw it back into the crowd.
The officials did not see the England international’s actions, but the FA is now reviewing the matter to determine if they will take any action.
Interestingly, it was Chelsea’s official TikTok account that exposed the incident.
Throwing objects back into the crowd is deemed a punishable offence.
Richarlison was banned in May 20222 by the FA after sending a lit blue flare back into the crowd during a clash between Everton and Chelsea.
It is not the first time Chelsea have had a player get into trouble for throwing objects back into the crowd.
Didier Drogba received a three-match ban in 2008 after throwing a coin at Burnley fans.
Sterling’s behaviour could earn him a ban and handicap his club during crucial games.
The Blues face Manchester City in the Premier League on Sunday and will need all hands on deck when they visit Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea will hope that Sterling can somehow escape with a slap on the wrist.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree