AC Milan striker Olivier Giroud is set to be handed a one-year contract extension by the club, according to Calciomercato.
Since arriving from Chelsea in 2021, Giroud has netted 20 times in 53 games and was a key performer en route to the Rossoneri ending an 11-year wait for a Scudetto last term.
The veteran forward revealed his desire to remain at the San Siro earlier this year.
“At Milan, I am fine – the fans have welcomed me very well, and I have made the most of this opportunity by carving out my space in the team, “Giroud told Gazzetta dello Sport (h/t MilanNews).
“It’s clear that in the medium term I want to stay in Milan for a while.
“I don’t know if I will play until I am forty, but I want to stay at the top as long as my body allows me. “
Giroud’s current deal runs until June 2023, but Milan have seen enough to warrant tying him down for a further 12 months, although any contract talks may have to wait until after the World Cup.
Despite failing to score in six straight games before Tuesday’s 4-0 win over Dinamo Zagreb, Giroud has remained an undisputed starter for the reigning Serie A champions, with Divock Origi having to settle for a bit-part role.
Stefano Pioli will hope that the Frenchman’s penalty against Zagreb serves as a catalyst for an upturn in form as Milan approach a crucial period of the season in their pursuit of Napoli at the top of the Serie A table.
They also have work to do in their final Champions League group stage clash against RB Salzburg next week, as a defeat would see them make an early exit from Europe’s premier club competition.
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga; can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more