Newcastle United defender Dan Burn will be sidelined for an unspecified period due to a back injury.
The towering defender suffered the injury during the Magpies’ 1-0 victory over Arsenal, where he was forced to exit the pitch at half-time after an awkward fall on his back.
Burn will be a massive miss for Newcastle as he has been an integral part of the team since joining from Brighton & Hove Albion.
Speaking ahead of Newcastle’s crucial Champions League fixture against Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday, Howe provided an update on Burn’s condition.
Howe said (via Sky Sports): “Dan will be out for some time, I think. It’s another long-term problem. A couple of months is a speculative number for us. He landed on his spine. He’s got a problem with the base of it. A huge blow.”
Matt Targett has also suffered a hamstring injury. Targett had to be withdrawn just two minutes into the League Cup win over Manchester United.
Howe revealed that the left-back was scheduled to consult a specialist on Monday and will be out for approximately three months, regardless of whether surgery is required.
Newcastle’s injury crisis has escalated as they prepare to face Dortmund in the Champions League.
Several key players are unavailable for the BVB encounter, including Jacob Murphy, Harvey Barnes, Alexander Isak, Sven Botman and Sandro Tonali.
The Magpies aim to secure a victory against the Bundesliga giants to advance to second spot in their group, but they face a daunting challenge with their current injury woes.
Newcastle fans will be hoping for a swift recovery for their sidelined stars and a strong performance against Dortmund.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray