It is Friday again which means it is time for Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two major talking points for the weekend ahead and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the weekend and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get this show on the road!
Wilder return to Sheffield United would be a mistake
One point from their opening ten games after winning promotion to the Premier League does not make great reading for Sheffield United.
Manager Paul Heckingbottom is under the cosh despite having to work with one hand tied behind his back due to ongoing issues in the boardroom.
There has been plenty of talk about Chris Wilder returning to the club to replace Heckingbottom, but that would be a big mistake.
Wilder did well at Bramall Lane the first time around until the bubble burst. He subsequently failed at Middlesbrough and Watford and is not the answer to the Blades’ problems.
Cooper is sliding into trouble at Nottingham Forest
After guiding Nottingham Forest into the Premier League, Steve Cooper did well to keep them up in their first year back in the top flight.
However, after splashing out another £100 million on new players this summer, the club’s expectations were much higher this time around.
Two wins from their opening ten matches is a poor return, and Cooper desperately needs to end their recent six-match winless run.
Unfortunately for Cooper, his Forest side are scheduled to host high-flying Aston Villa on Sunday – a defeat there and club bosses may start to get itchy feet.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Analysing Aston Villa’s inventive set plays – ‘It’s almost hard to remember them all’.
- Why only three continents will likely host a FIFA World Cup.
- Taking my daughter to football has enhanced my life as a match-going fan.
Today’s top tune
We gave Wigan indie band The Lathums a shout-out in the Morning Mix column earlier this year, so it’s probably time for another one.
Their latest single ‘Thoughts of a Child’ is a joyous track. If it doesn’t put a smile on your face, check your pulse.
What to watch this week
There’s been a lot of talk about Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag in recent weeks, with his team failing to live up to expectations.
There have been rumblings about his strict methods and his treatment of selected players, which suggests he may have lost the dressing room.
However, regardless of whether there is any merit to those rumours, United’s players need to take a good look at themselves.
Games against Fulham (H), Copenhagen (A) and Luton Town (H) are an ideal opportunity for this bunch of underachievers to get their fingers out.
A final Morning Mix thought
Harry Kane says Harry Maguire is ‘one of England’s best ever defenders’ – file this one in the ‘Kane shouldn’t consider a career in management’ drawer.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?