The 22-year-old has reportedly been on Madrid’s radar for several months, but the club is now taking decisive steps to secure his services.
Premier League giants Liverpool and Manchester United have also shown interest in the Portuguese defender, but Los Blancos are leading the race.
Madrid are pursuing Inacio in the upcoming transfer window because they want to fend off competition from the two English clubs.
Madrid’s defensive woes were exacerbated by a long-term injury to Eder Militao, who recently underwent surgery for a torn cruciate ligament.
The injury will sideline him for a significant portion of the season. Los Blancos have relied on the defensive trio of David Alaba, Antonio Rudiger and Nacho Fernandez for the early part of the season.
However, the club is well aware of the need to reinforce their defensive line in January.
The urgency for a fourth central defender became evident on October 7 when manager Carlo Ancelotti had to deploy midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni in a makeshift role in the heart of the defence against Osasuna.
Inacio is a rising star at Sporting and plays a pivotal role in Ruben Amorim’s squad.
He is contracted to the Portuguese club until 2027 and has a €60 million release clause, reflecting his growing importance and market value.
Inacio is already a Portugal international with four caps and two goals for Roberto Martinez’s side.
The Almada-born defender has helped Sporting keep four clean sheets in his nine Primeira Liga appearances this season.
He has also been a mainstay in their Europa League campaign, featuring in all three games.
- £1.3bn Manchester United investor will prioritise homegrown talent over foreign stars
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Stats reveal the real culprits in Man Utd’s dismal performances this season
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award