Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior has committed his future to the club, signing a new contract until 2027.
The 23-year-old Brazilian international arrived from Flamengo in 2018 and has grown into a crucial component of the Real Madrid squad.
After a difficult first few seasons in Spain, the young attacker began dazzling fans with his extraordinary skill on the field and added end product to his game.
Vinicius inherited the iconic number seven jersey once worn by Cristiano Ronaldo following the departure of Eden Hazard.
He enjoyed a remarkable season last year, notching 23 goals and 21 assists in 55 appearances for the Spanish giants.
His breathtaking performances have continued into this campaign, where he’s already contributed three goals and three assists in just ten matches.
In a video message shared by Madrid, Vinicius expressed his happiness after renewing his contract. He said it was a dream to play for the 14-time Champions League winners.
La Liga file complaint to Catalan police over alleged racist abuse towards Vinicius Jr during clash with Barcelona
However, alongside the Madrid star’s contract renewal, a shadow of racism continues to hover in Spain.
La Liga investigated the matter and has submitted gathered evidence, including video footage from three different areas within Barcelona’s stadium, where instances of abuse against Vinicius were recorded during his substitution in stoppage time.
It is not the first time Vinicius has faced these repulsive actions. He has almost become a consistent target for racist jabs, but he has kept his head up.
Atletico Madrid fans hung a mannequin wearing the shirt of Vinicius off a bridge in the Spanish capital in January.
Valencia received a fine and sanctions after fans directed racist chants at the player in May.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch