Matis Soule’s international future has been up for debate for a while now, with Argentina and Italy both eager to secure the Juventus youngster’s services.
Soule has represented his birth nation Argentina at youth level, although he is eligible to play for Italy due to his dual citizenship.
The Azzurri have been trying to persuade the 20-year-old following his eye-catching loan spell at Frosinone this season.
However, Argentina want to scupper Italy’s efforts as head coach Lionel Scaloni has included Soule in the preliminary squad list for the upcoming World Cup qualifying games against Uruguay and Brazil, as reported by Gianluca Di Marzio.
Scaloni has been closely monitoring the development of Soule, having previously summoned him to train with the first team on a few occasions.
The Bianconeri prodigy recently responded to the mounting speculation, stating that he hasn’t decided on his future while calling it difficult to pick between the two nations.
Italian head coach Luciano Spalletti also wants Soule to switch his allegiance to the Azzurri, but it remains to be seen whether Argentina’s latest strategy will turn his head.
Soule has been in exceptional form in Serie A this season with Frosinone, registering five goals and an assist in eight appearances.
The winger is considered the next big thing from Argentina’s never-ending talent factory and is tipped to reach similar heights as the nation’s legendary names.
With talismanic figures like Lionel Messi and Angel Di Maria nearing the end of their careers, a highly talented youngster like Soule can mark a new era with La Albiceleste.
However, Italy are looking to embark on a new cycle under Spalletti, who believes a player of Soule’s calibre will be pivotal to the squad for the foreseeable future.
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups