Chelsea manager Mauricio Pochettino revealed that Christopher Nkunku is on the brink of returning to action after a lengthy injury lay-off.
The French international made a high-profile £52 million move from RB Leipzig to Chelsea during the summer transfer window.
There were fears that Nkunku would be out of action until at least December, but Pochettino’s recent comments suggest a far more promising timeline.
The 25-year-old attacking midfielder has been diligently working on his rehabilitation, and the manager hinted that Nkunku could make his comeback after the upcoming international break.
Pochettino said (via Chelsea’s official website): “He is doing really, really well. He is working really hard.
“I think it’s really, really close, and as soon as possible, we can have him involved again in the game. He is a really important player for us.”
The Frenchman was expected to play a pivotal role in Chelsea’s campaign alongside Nicolas Jackson and showed his prowess during the pre-season, netting two goals and providing two assists.
His unfortunate injury against Borussia Dortmund dashed the hopes of Chelsea fans eagerly awaiting his competitive debut.
However, the club is now brimming with anticipation as Nkunku nears his return to action.
Chelsea are experiencing an upswing in form, and the timing of his comeback could prove crucial in maintaining the positive trajectory.
Nkunku’s playmaking and goalscoring ability will inject even more dynamism into Chelsea’s formidable squad.
Pochettino also confirmed that Reece James is in the squad to face the Bees, but it might be too early for the England international to start.
James featured off the bench in the 2-2 draw with Arsenal and will likely have a similar role this weekend.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray