Friday is here again which means it is time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two major talking points for the weekend ahead and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the weekend and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get this show on the road!
Naive Kompany needs to wise up
The Clarets spent almost £100 million on new players during the summer transfer window and have ended up making the team worse.
Kompany’s ‘Plan A’ has been repeatedly exposed by Premier League teams this season and he seems to be devoid of ideas if that doesn’t work.
He has been touted as a potential future replacement for Pep Guardiola at Manchester City, but is too tactically naive for that to happen.
A United win would transform their season
Manchester United went into this season with ambitions of building on their third-place finish last term, but things have not gone to plan.
However, they head into this weekend’s game against Manchester City on the back of three successive victories in all competitions.
While you would be hard-pushed to argue they have played well in those games, grinding out positive results is undoubtedly a useful habit to possess.
If they can make it consecutive home league derby victories, the result could be the catalyst for the Red Devils to kick on.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Analysing Manchester United’s accounts: Record revenue, £28.7m loss, interest payments up.
- ‘Do you really own Everton?’: The day Bill Kenwright gave us a lift to a game.
- Despite a historic losing streak, Union Berlin are still one of a kind.
Today’s top tune
Red Rum Club’s penchant for creating expansive tunes is back on show with their latest release ‘Godless’.
Taken from their upcoming album ‘Western Approaches’, this infectious song showcases their talent to perfection.
What to watch this week
While the Manchester derby will dominate the headlines on Sunday, we’ll be keeping a close eye on proceedings at the London Stadium.
With West Ham United reportedly in no rush to offer David Moyes a new contract, he desperately needs a good result to end their recent mini-slump.
A final Morning Mix thought
Man City reacted swiftly to identify and ban two knuckleheads for their offensive chants about the death of Sir Bobby Charlton during last week’s game against Brighton & Hove Albion.
Quite what motivates people to engage in this type of moronic behaviour is anyone’s guess. Let’s hope Sunday’s game passes without any further nonsense.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch