Inter Miami star Lionel Messi has been nominated for the Major League Soccer’s Newcomer of the Year award.
Major League Soccer announced the finalists for its year-end awards on Thursday, honouring the league’s top performers during the regular season.
Messi was named as a finalist for the Newcomer of the Year award alongside Atlanta United’s Giorgos Giakoumakis and St Louis City star Eduard Lowen.
The Argentina international joined the Herons this summer after the expiration of his contract at Paris Saint-Germain.
The forward has made a considerable impact for the MLS side since he arrived at the DRV PNK Stadium in July.
He has scored 11 goals and contributed five assists in 14 appearances across all competitions.
His excellent performances helped his side lift the Leagues Cup trophy and make it to the final of the US Open Cup.
However, the Argentine scored just once in six MLS matches, leaving many fans baffled by his nomination for the MLS Newcomer of the Year award.
Messi is also set to win his eighth Ballon d’Or ahead of Erling Braut Haaland and Kylian Mbappe.
The 36-year-old will then become the first player playing outside the top leagues in Europe to bag the prestigious Ballon d’Or.
Messi played an instrumental role in helping Argentina win the 2022 World Cup, scoring seven goals in seven matches.
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups