Bristol Rovers have confirmed they have parted company with Joey Barton following a disappointing start to the 2023-24 campaign.
The Pirates have won just one of their last five matches and are sitting 16th in the League One table.
The club released a statement on bristolrovers.co.uk that read: “Bristol Rovers can confirm that today the club has relieved first-team manager Joey Barton of his duties.
“Everyone at the club would like to thank Joey for all his efforts and wish him well in the future.
“In the interim, Andy Mangan will lead the team supported by Glenn Whelan, Danny Ventre and Anssi Jaakkola who will remain in post.”
Barton was appointed manager in February 2021 when they were fighting a relegation battle to stay in League One.
However, he stayed at the Memorial Stadium the following season and led them back to League One after a third-place finish in the fourth tier.
They finished 17th last term but have failed to kick on, and the club’s hierarchy decided to fire Barton from his position.
The English boss led his side to only a single win from their first six league matches before their impressive success over Shrewsbury Town and Wigan Athletic.
But another miserable run followed that saw them register just a single victory from their five matches.
Barton’s final game in charge was against Stevenage when the two teams played out a 1-1 draw on Tuesday.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?