The deputy spokesperson of the Barcelona board Mikel Camps has launched a verbal attack on Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior, per Marca.
Camps made the controversial comments on social media platform X after the Brazilian’s showboating against Portuguese side Braga in the Champions League on Tuesday.
His referral to the racist incidents against the player caused a huge backlash on social media.
Camps wrote: “It’s not racism – he deserves a slap for being a clown and a joker. What do these unnecessary and meaningless bicycles represent in the centre of the field?”
He quickly deleted the post, but many people had already taken screenshots. Madrid star Rodrygo called his comments ’embarrassing’.
Vinicius Junior has constantly been a target of racist abuse in the last 12 months.
The most recent incident happened on Saturday when a fan at Sevilla’s Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium appeared to make a racist gesture towards him.
Sevilla ejected the supporter from their stadium before handing him over to the authorities.
Vinicius later praised Sevilla for their prompt response while adding that he had access to a second video showing another fan being abusive.
Another major racism incident against the Brazilian happened in May when he was targeted by the home supporters at Valencia.
The Spanish club received a fine and were handed a partial stadium ban in the wake of the incident.
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups