Liverpool left-back Andy Robertson faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines after sustaining a shoulder injury during Scotland’s 2024 European Championship qualifying defeat to Spain.
Manager Jurgen Klopp confirmed the unfortunate news that Robertson would be out of action for approximately three months.
This setback will see the Scotland international miss several crucial Premier League clashes against top rivals, including Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal.
The 30-year-old is scheduled for surgery early next week to ensure Robertson’s long-term well-being and prevent recurring issues. This decision follows consultations with experts in the field.
“There was a little chance that he could try without. But after talking to pretty much all experts, it looks like surgery will be the best thing, especially in the long-term, definitely. And that means he is out for a while.”
Klopp acknowledged the challenges of recovering from shoulder surgery, emphasising that while physical training could resume relatively quickly, it would not be football-specific due to the need for caution in tackling and physical play.
The responsibility of filling the left-back role during Robertson’s absence falls to Greece international Kostas Tsimikas, starting from Saturday’s Merseyside derby against Everton.
On a brighter note, Klopp also provided positive updates on other players’ fitness, including Cody Gakpo, who has returned to training. They will monitor him ahead of tomorrow’s game.
Diogo Jota was suspended rather than injured but is available for selection, while Stefan Bajcetic and Thiago Alcantara remain sidelined.
Despite this setback, Liverpool will be looking to maintain their strong form in the Premier League as they navigate a challenging period without one of their key defenders.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?