It has been 28 years since the last time top-flight football graced the pitches of England on December 24, 1995.
However, there have been reports that at least one football fixture will be rescheduled for Christmas Eve this year.
During the festive period, there are usually matches on the weekend before Christmas and around Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day.
But things are complicated this year because Christmas Day falls on a Monday. The schedule is under pressure.
Wolves’ showdown against Chelsea is being considered for this festive change as Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday.
Nothing has been set in stone yet, but the authorities want a 1.00 pm kick-off if the plan materialises.
The scheduling reshuffle raises questions about whether this game will be the only one to change dates. The current timetable has it scheduled for 3.00 pm on December 23.
This decision to reschedule is being driven by television broadcasting rights. The move is bound to ruffle the feathers of Chelsea fans.
Travelling from London to Wolverhampton on Christmas Eve while battling the unpredictable winter weather is no easy feat.
The final Christmas fixture schedule will be unveiled soon and will likely receive mixed reactions.
If the Wolves versus Chelsea match gets the green light, the Midlands club’s subsequent fixtures against Brentford and Everton could be impacted.
In 2017, discussions about playing matches on Christmas Day took place but were abandoned due to concerns about travel and logistics.
The last top-flight game to grace Christmas Eve in 1995 saw Leeds United defeat Manchester United 3-1 thanks to goals from Brian Deane, Tony Yeboah and Gary McAllister.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?