Teenage sensation Endrick has opened up on his decision to sign for Real Madrid in a £51 million deal.
Touted as the next big thing to come out of Brazilian football, Endrick was a transfer target for Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea.
In a bid to convince him to join the Blues, defender Thiago Silva hosted the 16-year-old’s family at Cobham.
However, it was Los Blancos who ended up winning the race for the Palmeiras prodigy and he has now revealed what motivated him to move to Santiago Bernabeu.
“Real Madrid are a very big team – Vini had sent me messages and given me more hope,” Endrick told Marca when quizzed on his motive for joining the reigning European champions.
“Cristiano also, who is my idol, played for Real Madrid. That’s why I chose Real Madrid and I think it’s the right choice.
“God has always been with me and he has told me that it is the best way.”
While Endrick will not be eligible to feature for Madrid until he turns 18, he is already looking forward to life as a Madrid player and wishes Carlo Ancelotti’s men well for the rest of the current campaign as La Liga resumes this weekend off the back of an enforced hiatus due to the World Cup.
“In 2024, when I go to Real Madrid, I hope to have a good time,” the attacker added.
“At the moment I am in Palmeiras, but I will be supporting from afar.
“May Vinicius [Junior], who is my friend, have a great season, and Eder Militao and Rodrygo Goes…and may Real Madrid win more Champions Leagues, LaLiga Santander and the Supercopa de Espana.”
Endrick made just seven appearances for Palmeiras last season en route to league glory, but he is expected to be given more first-team opportunities going forward in preparation for his big move to the Spanish capital in two years.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree