After missing games against Brighton & Hove Albion and Union Saint-Gilloise, the Netherlands star completed his rehabilitation program during the international break.
He got the green light to rejoin the squad in Thursday’s training session at Kirkby.
Alexis Mac Allister, Darwin Nunez, Luis Diaz and Alisson Becker also rejoined the squad after fulfilling their national team duties, bolstering Jurgen Klopp’s options ahead of the Merseyside derby.
However, Curtis Jones remains unavailable due to suspension, while left-back Andy Robertson misses out with the shoulder injury he sustained on international duty with Scotland.
The timeline for Robertson’s return hinges on the decision regarding surgery. Kostas Tsimikas is expected to step in as his replacement.
If Robertson opts for surgery, he could be sidelined for an estimated 10-12 weeks, while forgoing the operation would mean a shorter absence of approximately four weeks but with an increased risk of recurrence.
The decision is very important as Liverpool head into a challenging period of fixtures, with their sights set on maintaining their strong position in the Premier League and competing on multiple fronts.
The return of Gakpo and other key players will provide a significant boost to the Reds’ aspirations in the Merseyside derby and beyond.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray