The Italian international has been under investigation for his involvement in a betting scandal rocking Italian football.
The 23-year-old, who made a high-profile move to Newcastle United from AC Milan this summer, reportedly placed bets on his former team.
Tonali recently returned to Tyneside from Italy, where he endured a gruelling three-hour interrogation at the Turin public prosecutor’s office on Tuesday.
The midfielder will participate in Wednesday morning training with his teammates.
The good news for the club is that determining his suspension could take up to a month, allowing him to be available for selection in the immediate future.
The Italian playmaker, signed for a hefty £55 million during the summer transfer window, may still feature in the Champions League this season.
Newcastle take on Borussia Dortmund on November 7, and if Tonali’s potential suspension remains undetermined, the midfielder could be in contention for that clash.
Reports suggest that Tonali was deeply remorseful during his meeting with prosecutor Manuela Pedrotta. She is overseeing the investigation into illicit betting activities on online platforms.
The footballer and his legal representative, Marco Feno, had requested the meeting which was immediately granted.
However, investigators are still scrutinising the content of the mobile phone and tablet confiscated from Tonali during his time at the Italy training camp last week.
Tonali’s statement has not been disclosed to the public, but his agent conceded on Tuesday that the player has been struggling with a gambling addiction.
Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli, a fellow Italy international, has already been banned from playing for seven months due to violations of betting regulations in the same case.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree