Nico Williams has been linked heavily with a move away from Athletic Bilbao.
The young winger’s contract at the Spanish outfit is set to expire in 2024, fueling speculation about his future at San Mames.
Aston Villa looked set to sign the Spaniard in January after activating his £45 million release clause, but the player opted to stay in Bilbao.
Barcelona were also credited with an interest in the player. The 21-year-old had reportedly reached an agreement with the Catalans over a free transfer in 2024.
However, they are all set to miss out on Nico Williams as he is very close to penning a new deal with Bilbao, per SPORT.
While negotiations haven’t been easy, the La Liga side are now in advanced talks and are hopeful to get a new deal over the line.
The Spaniard has been one of the key members of the Bilbao team over the last few years.
Since he arrived at San Mames in 2021, he has made over 90 senior appearances, registering 12 goals and 11 assists.
Williams has also made a solid start to the 2023-24 season, starting six La Liga matches and making four goal contributions.
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups