Chelsea youngster Ian Maatsen is facing an uncertain future at Stamford Bridge as his contract expires next summer.
After an impressive loan stint with Burnley in the Championship last season, Maatsen returned to Stamford Bridge in the summer.
The 21-year-old has struggled to nail down a starting spot under Mauricio Pochettino, making only six appearances in the Premier League – none as a starter.
The Blues are aware of his contract situation and have reportedly asked him to pen an extension, or he could be sold in January.
Despite being not the first-choice for Pochettino, Maatsen has proved his quality with his limited opportunities in cup games against AFC Wimbledon and Brighton & Hove Albion.
The talented prodigy is in the plans of the Netherlands national team coach Ronald Koeman, who has summoned him for the last two international duties.
Maatsen’s situation has caught the attention of some of the European heavyweights, including La Liga giants Barcelona.
The Catalan giants have identified the Dutch youngster as one of the options to strengthen the left-back position, with Marcos Alonso’s contract expiring at the end of the season.
The Blaugrana are planning to sign him on a free transfer next summer, but they will face tough competition from Premier League clubs.
TEAMtalk claim that Manchester City and West Ham United are interested in signing Maatsen in January.
Man City have built a great relationship with Chelsea in recent years, with Mateo Kovacic, Raheem Sterling and Cole Palmer moving between the two clubs.
The Cityzens are looking to take advantage by adding Maatsen to their ranks.
Barca have also lined up their former star and Real Betis left-back Juan Miranda as a potential target despite interest from Serie A giants AC Milan.
The Blues could also offload Trevoh Chalobah in the winter transfer window, with the English defender currently down the pecking order and looking for a way out from Stamford Bridge to revive his career.
Thiago Silva’s contract also runs out next summer, and the Brazilian centre-back has been linked with a return to Fluminense.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch