Lionel Messi is reportedly set to win his eighth Ballon d’Or, beating Erling Braut Haaland and Kylian Mbappe to the prestigious award.
He is poised to become the first player playing outside the top leagues in Europe to bag the coveted award.
The former Barcelona star scored seven goals in seven matches, including two in the final against France.
The experienced forward joined Inter Miami this summer following the expiration of his contract at Paris Saint-Germain.
Messi has made a huge impact at the American club as they went on an impressive run after his arrival at the DRV PNK Stadium.
The Argentine has scored 11 goals in 13 appearances across all competitions for the Miami outfit.
His performances helped the team lift the Leagues Cup trophy and make it to the final of the US Open Cup.
According to Spanish outlet SPORT, Messi will likely win his eighth Ballon d’Or at the end of the month.
Barcelona midfielder Aitana Bonmati is expected to claim the women’s iteration of the award.
Bonmati played a crucial role in helping Spain win the Women’s World Cup in Australia earlier this year.
The 25-year-old also bagged the Golden Ball award as the tournament’s best player.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch