Fagioli breached Article 24 of the sporting justice code, which prohibits football players from betting on matches organised by FIGC, UEFA and FIFA.
The disciplinary measures imposed on Fagioli extend beyond the standard suspension and fine.
Alongside the ban and fine, Fagioli must participate in a therapeutic plan lasting at least six months.
He must attend at least ten public meetings within the next five months, held at various amateur sports associations, federal territorial centres and recovery facilities specialising in gambling addiction treatment.
These requirements are in line with the guidelines established by the FIGC.
The Federal Prosecutor’s Office will monitor Fagioli’s compliance with these specified conditions and will be ready to hand out further punishments if any violations occur.
Such violations could lead to the termination of Fagioli’s contract and further punishments through sports justice adjudicating bodies.
Fagioli’s willingness to confront and address his gambling addiction played a pivotal role in securing a less severe punishment. This commitment to personal growth and recovery has not gone unnoticed.
Italian football has been rocked by the recent betting scandal that has implicated other players, including Aston Villa’s Nicolo Zaniolo and Newcastle United’s Sandro Tonali.
Tonali has reportedly confirmed placing bets on football matches, but Zaniolo has denied the allegations.
These revelations are prompting a comprehensive investigation, and the FIGC is looking to come down hard against the players involved.
AS Roma’s Nicola Zalewski’s name has been mooted as another player involved in the betting scandal, but the FIGC has not opened an investigation into him.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray