Liverpool are heavily interested in appointing Max Eberl as their new sporting director, according to Christian Falk.
The Bild journalist has shared on social media platform X that Bayern Munich are also in talks to sign the 50-year-old who worked as a sporting director at RB Leipzig until September.
Jorg Schmadtke is the current sporting director of Liverpool, but it seems they are looking to replace him.
He arrived at the end of May to replace Julian Ward on a year-long contract, but his future is uncertain.
Bayern appear to be the favourites in the race. He is a product of their academy and would love to work at Germany’s most successful club.
However, there could be a temptation to work alongside Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.
Eberl is known for his talent-spotting ability. He is responsible for nurturing Marco Reus, Juan Arango, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Granit Xhaka.
While he was at Leipzig, he will have developed a good bond with Liverpool following the moves for Dominik Szoboszlai and Fabio Carvalho.
He has plenty of experience and strong contacts, and it would be no surprise if Liverpool moved on from Schmadtke and made a strong bid to appoint him.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray