The Partenopei have reportedly started exploring options for a new head coach following Rudi Garcia’s uninspiring start to the new season.
The Frenchman has failed to take up the baton from Serie A-winning manager Luciano Spalletti, registering only four wins out of eight games in the league.
Consecutive defeats against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Fiorentina in the league have put Garcia in a spot of bother.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has acknowledged the former Al-Nassr manager’s ongoing struggles and insisted that a decision will be made if needed.
The Partenopei reportedly approached Conte over potentially replacing Garcia, but he has declined the offer.
The 54-year-old has been unemployed since parting ways with Spurs in March this year. In his two-year stint with the Lilywhites, he helped them qualify for the Champions League in his first season.
He lost his job after making controversial comments criticising his own players and chairman Daniel Levy for Spurs’ constant failure to win trophies.
Conte stressed on Instagram that he is not yet ready to return to the fold and wants to continue spending time with his family.
“I hear insistent transfer rumours that link me to important clubs, but I reiterate that for now there is only the will to continue to sit still and enjoy the family,” wrote Conte (h/t Sky Sport Italia).
Conte’s last stint in Serie A was with Inter Milan, who he led to the Scudetto in the 2020/21 season.
Garcia is seemingly working on borrowed time, and he needs to turn things around quickly or he will bite the dust.
The Partenopei may be looking at the alternatives, with several options lined up as potential targets.
Christophe Galtier was on top of the wishlist, but he has agreed to become the manager of Qatari club Al-Duhail.
The Partenopei are also keeping tabs on former Marseille coach Igor Tudor – who previously managed Hellas Verona – and Julen Lopetegui, who parted ways with Wolverhampton Wanderers this summer.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree