Bayern Munich have identified Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Gregor Kobel as the long-term successor to club stalwart Manuel Neuer, according to Foot Mercato.
The exceptional Swiss shot-stopper only recently signed a new long-term deal with Der BvB and will command a hefty price tag if Bayern follow up their interest.
Dortmund are likely to demand at least €80 million for the 25-year-old. But that is unlikely to deter the record-time Bundesliga champions, who have already initiated contact with the player’s entourage.
Neuer has been the last line of Bayern’s defence for over a decade, earning a reputation as one of the best in his trade, but his stock has fallen off a cliff since his untimely injury.
While he is working on regaining full fitness and his place in Bayern’s goal, his extended absence from action, coupled with his age, has raised questions within the club hierarchy regarding his ability to still perform at a high level.
Sven Ulreich has stepped in for Neuer this season, but he is only a stop-gap solution for Bayern.
The Bundesliga title holders are eager to recruit a player capable of filling Neuer’s boots, and Kobel has been identified as the man to take over between the sticks.
Bayern’s choice is unsurprising, considering Kobel has been widely regarded as one of the best shot-stoppers in the Bundesliga since joining Dortmund from VfB Stuttgart in 2021.
While Jude Bellingham was the poster boy for Dortmund’s futile title push last season, Kobel was also an outstanding performer for Edin Terzic’s side with a 75% save percentage.
Bayern will need to pull out all the stops to snap up Kobel, but their history of dealing with Dortmund could prove advantageous.
Despite the player’s new contract, there’s every chance he could end up at the Allianz Arena as early as next summer.
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups