Despite withdrawing from international duty with a groin issue, Alexander Isak hasn’t been ruled out of Newcastle United’s next Premier League fixture, per NewcastleWorld.
The 24-year-old scored a brace on Sunday afternoon before he signalled to come off in the closing stages as the Magpies drew 2-2 against West Ham United at the London Stadium.
A Sweden statement read: “Alexander Isak leaves the men’s national team’s European Championship qualifying squad.
“The Newcastle striker came to the gathering with an injury report from Sunday’s match against West Ham and underwent an examination by the Swedish national team’s medical team on Monday.
“After that, it is clear that Alexander Isak is not available for games next week and will miss the European Championship qualifier against Belgium next Monday.”
Isak has slight tightness in his groin and will continue to be assessed ahead of United’s return to Premier League action against Crystal Palace at St James’ Park on October 21.
He hasn’t yet been ruled out of the clash, although Newcastle will be mindful of the Champions League clash at home to Borussia Dortmund just four days later.
They will also be mindful of his injury history and avoid rushing him back too early.
Isak is the club’s top goalscorer with seven goals in all competitions this season.
The striker has had an excellent start to the campaign for the Tyneside club and will hope to continue his form against the Eagles.
Behind the Swede in the charts is Callum Wilson, who made his return from a hamstring injury by replacing him in the 86th minute last weekend.
If Isak is unfit, Wilson will likely lead the line against Roy Hodgson’s side.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray