Birmingham City have sacked manager John Eustace and Wayne Rooney is set to be appointed as his replacement.
The former England international captain recently stepped down from his managerial role at Major League Soccer club DC United. He is the front-runner for the Birmingham job.
The decision to part ways with Eustace comes after growing doubts regarding his future.
Birmingham announced an official statement on their website, expressing gratitude to Eustace for his contributions during his 15-month stint.
Eustace helped stabilise and strengthen the club, particularly during the challenging financial circumstances following his arrival in July 2022.
In his debut season as manager, Eustace steered the team to a 17th-place finish, securing their status in the Championship with three games to spare.
The club’s statement read (via Birmingham’s official website): “The club would like to thank John for his contribution. His dedication and work ethic were evident throughout his time in B9, and he will always be welcomed back to St. Andrew’s.”
Eustace’s departure comes with Blues in sixth place in the Championship table after 11 games.
The 43-year-old assumed his role and led the club to a secure position amidst financial uncertainty.
Birmingham are hoping the incoming manager can craft a distinctive identity and foster a fearless playing style.
Rooney reportedly wants to bring two former teammates into his coaching staff.
Ashley Cole and John O’Shea, both familiar faces to Rooney from their days at Manchester United and England, are rumoured to be joining him in his new coaching set-up.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray